So I'm leaving in 5 days, and in lieu of writing each and every person I love dearly a personal email, I'm going to attempt a blog about my adventures in Ghana. It could work out, be wildly entertaining (because the whitest white girl is going to Africa) and result in a new potential career path for me (because why not add travel blogger to the list of chef, political campaign adviser, porn star or country music singer). Even if I don't find my career passion, it will at least keep you informed that yes, I am still alive while I'm abroad, though I may potentially be suffering from a combination of Typhoid Fever, Malaria, Yellow Fever, Traveler's Diarrhea, Tetanus or any other unknown tropical disease that I may or may not have gotten a semi-effective vaccine for. After that medically disgusting interlude, I'm sure only my parents and Laura are still reading this, but know that as I write each post on this potentially successful blog, I'm thinking of the people I'm not with, and that's why this is all for you guys. So you don't forget me, and I don't forget you.
Though I may not have yet journeyed to the great city of Newark, NJ to start my adventure on a giant steel bird full of recycled air and cocktail peanuts (said peanuts now cost extra dinero on some flights....oh airline downsizing; making my flight options fewer, more expensive and with less snacks), my trip has already started. The pre-pack panic has set in and I'm avoiding it by... not packing. Not having a suitable suitcase has only aided this procrastination (Thanks Melly:) ).
But I have my new passport (snaps to the US State Department for creating a colorful, counterfeit proof new passport/American history picture book), my Lufthansa E-ticket, all shots necessary (ugggh all those needles) and my Ghanian Visa (where my first experience with Ghanaian nationals was laughing along with them and the embassy staff as we witnessed a disgruntled Rastafarian get escorted out of the consulate as he yelled "I'm not lettin' the white man get me down!"). I'm definitely going... but not til Sunday, I'm not through with New York quiiiiite yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment