Monday, September 7, 2009

My crazy Ghanaian weekend

There are several times every semester when I forget my cellphone at home and have to go through the entire day of classes, work, and boring meetings/panels/recruitment events (hahaha, poor suckers in New York; that wretched time of year is almost upon you!) without it. That day always has the same sequence of emotions; the initial panic when I realize I've forgotten it, the mental list I then need to compose of people I will need to contact throughout the day and rearranging my schedule so I can contact them, the moments in between (or during) classes when I think to text message someone, then realizing I can't. Finally, at the end of the day, as I'm getting home, wondering who texted me and how many missed calls I have (and subsequently feeling unpopular when it's not as many as I thought it would be), I feel a sense of calm, spending the entire day being unplugged and disconnected from the world.

Now add a computer, try it for three weeks, and multiply by 3 long months of the same thing ahead of you and see how you feel.

Two weeks since my little Mac seemingly grew legs and walked away. There aren't any new leads on how the theif got into my house and my room to get it, so this is the conclusion I'm coming to (Note to self: make sure your next computer is handicapped... maybe buy a Dell?). Surprisingly, I'm actually doing OK without my usual communication tools. I can't keep in touch with all the people I'd like to as often as I'd like, but I'm realizing I don't like many of you enough anyway..... kiiiiidding, I love you all equally most of the time. My Facebook addiction has lessened since I don't have 24/7 access and emails have surpassed peanut butter M&M's as one of my all-time favorite things (hint hint).

Through these trying times, I've managed to keep myself occupied. I've experienced culture at a Ghanian house party, learned to cook West African style and gone to a kick-ass football match.
Beginning with....

Friday was my first *real* night out in Ghana. I Ace bandaged my ankle up tight, threw back some strange Ukrainian painkillers (that strangely make my tongue turn purple if I take them before bed) and took on the best nightlife Accra had to offer me.... which turned out to be a Ghanaian house party. Besides the chauffeured NYU Van service we took to get there (Think SafeRide taking you and 8 other strangers to a bar party in say, Brooklyn and you'll have an idea of what my ride was like).
I had jungle juice in the jungle! Even thought it tasted a lot like straight grape juice, it was in a cooler and it was a party so close enough. And dancing.... whoa. Already knowing Ghanaian men are VERY forward, I was prepared to ward off the vultures. However, dancing is not exactly the word for what went on. As soon as I started dancing, there was someone behind me, grabbing at my hips and pulling me closer. When the hands wandered around to my my belly button (everyone seems to love the piercing... I could kick my 17 year old self for this particular body mutilation), I would inevitably flip out, grab at my friend and make the "Ohmygodpleasesaveme" face that I'm getting way too good at making.

After a hot shower and a day to mentally digest my house party experience, I woke up on Sunday with two goals: become the Rachel Ray of West African cuisine and become a Black Star football fan.
Dad, you'll be happy to learn that I can make fried plantains and red red, a delicious spicy bean and fish dish (I think that's what it is). And I can fry plantains. I'm learning to really enjoy West African food, even though it's starting to get a little repetitive. Rice, meat, onions and peppers. Potatoes occasionally. Still working on figuring the spices out, but I have 3 months left to perfect it.

After coming out of our food coma's, we all ventured to Ohene Djan Stadium for the Ghana vs Sudan World Cup qualifying match. Two months ago, I found out I'd be in Ghana for a qualifying matches, and since it's more likely that hell will freeze over before I make it to South Africa next summer, it has been my mission to see this qualifying match. It was everything I dreamed it would be. Ghana fans EVERYWHERE, dressed head to toe in red, gold and green. Flags everywhere, and so much excitement in the air. The stadium was absolutely packed and I had to sit on the stairs for the first half of the game.
Football is what America is missing. Combine the excitement of the World Series, Superbowl AND (fill in the blank sport championship), and this is what was in this stadium. Of course, Ghana beat the pants of Sudan because they're awesome. Now I just need to make it to the World Cup at some point in my life and see my beloved Black Stars play there and I can die happy.

Essentially, this was the best weekend ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment