MOM SENT A CARE PACKAGE!
Finally, after being in transit for a month and constant fear that my peanut butter M&M's melted into a chocolately glob, I got my wonderful care package. I got my package slip last night at dinner to go to a certain post office to pick it up. I briefly contemplated getting in a taxi right then to pick it up. Then I remembered that even though I was in Ghana it was still a post office that is never open after 5, holidays or any other day the government chooses to take a break.
Just like using a public toilet or going to a house party, picking up a package in Ghana had to be a cultural experience. Holley and I set out this morning, taking a break from West Wing to find this wonderful post office that was safely holding our American candy from our mothers. Our taxi took us to the first post office we were told to go, only to find out once we get to the parcel pick-up window that we were at the wrong post office. At this point in my Ghanaian adventure, this didn't surprise me at all. Had this happened in New York? Probably would have flipped my shit. We hop back in a cab to go to the right post office near Nkrumah Circle and are directed to the post office by a lovely security guard. Really, everyone today was a lovely person; I was getting peanut butter M&M's and highlighters. After filling out forms, showing ID and confusing the post office people because we're obruni with funny sounding names (at least I have), Holley and I finally get our packages. I swear I heard a choir of baby angels singing. We had to open our packages to make sure we weren't smuggling illegal candy into the country, but whatever, I got presents.
Mom- Sunscreen, candy, peanut butter, Lion King VHS and highlighters have never made me happier. BEST CARE PACKAGE EVER!! Nice compact packing job, that shoe box is like my new treasure chest.
Now I just need to ration my peanut butter for the next 7 weeks and I think I might just survive Africa.
No comments:
Post a Comment